The Denver Post
Digital Director of Sports | September 2013-present (Denver)
- Manage a team of four people to run The Denver Post sports section’s mobile, web and social offerings daily.
- Plan digital coverage for major sports events in and out of Colorado (including the Olympics, Super Bowl), plus daily live coverage by reporters with social and mobile.
- Co-produce The Press Box sports show Monday through Friday by booking our reporters and journalists as guests in our studio.
- Write sports daily and feature stories, photograph and shoot video
Digital First Media
Regional Engagement Editor | February 2012-present (Denver)
- Oversee social media, engagement and other digital media strategies for Digital First Media’s central region, which includes newspapers in Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio while maintaining local ties to The Denver Post.
- Work directly with Steve Buttry, DFM’s community engagement editor, to develop and implement community newsroom projects throughout the region.
- Teach journalists how to use social media and other engagement tools to find sources to enhance our journalism, build an audience and nurture that relationship, and promote their work and that of others
The Denver Post
Social Media Editor | April 2010-September 2013 (Denver)
- Oversee newsroom efforts with social media, SEO, mobile, blogs and other digital media strategies for The Denver Post’s website and its various social media accounts
- Teach journalists how to use social networks to gather information, find sources to enhance our journalism, build an audience and nurture that relationship, and promote their work and that of others
- Instruct reporters and editors to use blogs effectively to extend their reporting and editing
- Produce stories and multimedia packages and photos for The Denver Post and The Denver Post Media Center.
- Produce live video shows with graphics, streamed to The Post’s website from the field.
- Write stories, shoot video and photos for assignments.
The Denver Post
Dow Jones Newspaper Fund — Multimedia and Online Intern/Producer | June 2009-March 2010 (Denver)
- Revamped The Denver Post’s social media presence on Facebook and Twitter, its use in reporting breaking stories.
- Shot, edited, produced video several times weekly.
- Redesigned more than 50 of the Post’s blogs using HTML and CSS.
- Wrote spot news stories for the City Desk and photographed on various assignments.
The Associated Press
News Editorial Intern | Jan. 2008-April 2008 (Richmond, Va.)
- Worked as a staff writing intern for the Richmond, Va., bureau, writing broadcast copy, standard wire stories and news briefs. Two stories appeared on the national AP wire.
- Contributed research, reporting for stories, and monitored area wires, television and newspaper Web sites for prospective stories.
Online Editor and Web Developer | April 2008-August 2009 (Richmond, Va.)
- Designed and built the University of Richmond’s student newspaper Web site during summer 2008, using WordPress as a Content Management System.
- Won the University of Missouri’s 2009 Student Society for News Design contest for best overall college newspaper Web site, topping Penn State University and the University of Miami.
- Wrote spot news and feature stories on tight deadline. Edited, photographed, produced video and managed site’s daily publication.
- Served as news editor from 2007-08
The New York Times
Student Blogger | September-October 2008 (Richmond, Va.)
- Blogged live for The Times’ Political Blog, The Caucus, during the first presidential debate, vice presidential debate and third presidential debate.
News Editorial Intern | May 2008-Aug. 2008 (Washington, D.C.)
- Covered energy beat for Stateline.org, a news organization that reports on trends in state governments.
- Twice spoke on news radio programs to discuss several of my articles.
- Scooped the AP and USA Today by a full day on producing a trend story about four-day workweeks in state government.
The Capital News Service
Staff Writer | January 2007-March 2007 (Richmond, Va.)
- Covered the 2007 Virginia General Assembly, writing for weekly state newspapers.
- Served as team leader, managing and editing team stories before sending to editor.
The Pennington Post
Editorial Intern | May-June 2007, Aug. 2007 (Pennington, N.J.)
- Served as interim editor for two weeks.
- Wrote and edited news, sports and feature stories, in addition to photographing and designing pages.
University of Richmond Media and Public Relations
Student Associate | Aug. 2006-April 2007 (Richmond, Va.)
- Wrote and edited university-related news and features stories for various publications.
- Corresponded with TV, radio, newspaper and other media outlets throughout Virginia to route news stories.
University of Richmond Communications Office
Blogger | Fall 2005-Fall 2007 (Richmond, Va.)
- Wrote weekly about student life for prospective Richmond students.
- FinalCut Pro 7, WordPress, Storify, ScribbleLive, CoverItLive, Photoshop CS4, Merlin, QuarkXPress, InDesign, iMovie, Soundslides
- Languages: HTML, CSS, some PHP and JS
- Strongly proficient with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, PC and Macintosh platforms
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Recipient, Most Significant Contributor to the Richmond College Class of 2009
- Omicron Delta Kappa — National Leadership Honor Society (Fall 2008)
- 2007 Society of Professional Journalists (Virginia Pro Chapter) Scholarship Winner (April 2007)
- Beta Beta Beta National Honor Society for Biology (Inducted Spring 2008)
- Eagle Scout — Boy Scouts of America (Awarded Oct. 14, 2004)
- University of Richmond — Class of 2009 — B.S. Biology and Journalism, minor in French
- 3.39 cumulative GPA
University of Richmond Cross County and Track and Field
- Trained for long distance events and raced against NCAA Division I schools.
- Competed in Decathlon spring 2009.
- University Jazz Ensemble and University Wind Ensemble (Fall 2005-Spring 2009)